Gout is a condition, which is related to arthritis. This condition causes the joints to become inflamed along with swelling and severe joint pain. Gout usually affects the big toe and oftentimes, the person suffering from such condition will suddenly experience severe pain. Although often seen on the big toe, gout can occur in other joints of the body like the ankles, knees, ears, elbows and wrists. This condition is often due to increased levels of uric acid in the body. If you are unaware of it, uric acid is a natural body wasted that can be deposited into the joints and this causes swelling.
Causes of Gout
Uric acid is the product of the chemical processes in the body and this is usually flushed out of the body through the kidneys via urine. However, for individuals suffering from gout, the levels of uric acid in the bloodstream are usually higher and this can be due to increased uric acid production or reduced amount of eliminated uric acid from the body. When the levels of uric acid increased, these crystals are deposited to the joints in various parts of the body and excessive amount of these crystals in the joint results to swelling and inflammation.
Natural Relief for Gout
Gout is considered as a painful disease but it can be easily treated using natural remedies. Some of these remedies include the following:
- Cherry, Apple and Banana Treatment: these are considered as an effective gout relief. This is an ancient relief that is effective in reducing the amount of uric acid in the bloodstream. Vitamin C is helpful in eliminating uric acid and since cherry contains high amount of vitamin C, it is helpful in the treatment of gout. Consuming at least 10 to 15 pieces of cherries per day can provide quick relief against gout and prevent its recurrence. The malic acid contained in apples, on the other hand, is helpful in neutralizing uric acid, thus providing gout relief. In case you are suffering from such condition, make sure that you consume one apple per day to help you deal with your condition. Aside from cherries and apples, another effective remedy against gout is banana. You may consume 8 to 9 bananas per day to help alleviate the pain due to gout.
- Lemon Treatment: lemon is also rich in vitamin C, thus making it potent for gout conditions. However, aside from treatment joint problems, it is also helpful in strengthening the connective tissues in the body. Simply squeeze a lemon in water and consume it three times a day. The citric acid found in lemon is helpful in dissolving uric acid crystals and prevent it from depositing into the joints. Aside from drinking lemon, another effective method is to ground 10 to 15 lemons, add 2 pounds of honey into it and refrigerate it. You can have at least one spoon of this mixture per day after or before every meal.
- Vegetable Juice Treatment: another effective gout relief is the regular consumption of orange juice. Simply prepare a combination of 300 ml carrot juice, 100 ml cucumber juice and 100 ml beetroot juice. This mixture should be consumed every day for better results. Another effective relief is French beans juice. Drinking half a cup of it for at least one month can help treat gout conditions.
- Raw Fish Therapy: this is another known and effective gout relief that can be done for 10 days to treat the condition and alleviate the pain. Divide 5 pounds of raw fish fillets into 5 equal parts. Put it in a bag and freeze it. Defrost one bag nightly and place it into the affected or most painful area. Wear a sock over the bag and leave it overnight. Remove it the following morning and rinse your feet using warm water.
- Charcoal Therapy: mix one half cup of charcoal to a basin with water, mix it well until a paste is formed. Place the affected foot into the basin and pour enough mixture until the entire feet is covered with it. Leave your feet soaked for at least 30 to 50 minutes to relieve the pain.
- Epsom Salt Therapy: in case the big toe is the one affected, you can use Epsom salt to treat the problem. Epsom salt has magnesium, which is effective in removing toxins, heavy metals and waste materials from the blood. Just soak your feet into the tub with 250 to 500 mg Epsom salt to alleviate the pain due to gout. You can also use this as a bath by simply adding 2 cups of Epsom salt to the bathtub with warm water. This treatment method can be done at least thrice a week.
Aside from the remedies stated above, you can also start practicing gout exercises, which is another effective gout relief. Gout exercises can help nourish the cartilage in your joints, strengthen them and enhance the removal of body wastes. Remember that although gout is a painful condition, you can easily control it by opting for these natural remedies. If left untreated, this may result to serious health problems like high blood pressure, joint deformation and kidney failure among others. If you do not want to go ahead and try any of these remedies, you may seek the help of your physician for an effective gout relief.